Friday, June 15, 2007

Galloway beaten in sectarian attack

Police are investigating claims that George Galloway, the Respect MP, was kicked and taunted during a sectarian attack. The politician said the incident happened at Glasgow Airport on Sunday, after he was threatened on a flight from London.
He believes a group of men returning from an Orange Walk in London targeted him because he is a Celtic supporter.
Mr Galloway, who was travelling to give a talk at the Royal Concert Hall, said: "There was one guy I would describe as a ringleader who said, 'I don't like your radio talk, I don't like your newspaper talk, I have a religious duty to knock you down' "
He added that he was taunted during the British Midland flight, and was kicked on both ankles and jostled in the baggage reclaim area. Police are examining videos.
Mr Galloway said his "terrifying" experience began during the flight, adding: "I had a feeling of dread. I hurried off the plane and got to the luggage carousel as quickly as possible and prayed my bag would come first but, of course, it didn't. The group came up behind me and they were straight in with the sectarian insults and threats. I felt one man kick me on one ankle and I was then kicked on the other ankle."
Strathclyde Police confirmed that a complaint had been received from the MP.

No comments: