Thursday, October 04, 2007

Finally - The Big Annoucement

During my last major depression (March 1, 2003 to September 24, 2005), I often joked that I would end up joining the circus. Little did I realise that I actually would during my latest bout of Churchill's Black Dog since August 31, 2006 - well sort of in a manner of speaking.
Over the summer, in a vain effort to keep myself busy and suppress the urge to commit suicide due to unemployment, I have worked as a volunteer at my local community centre's Friday night circus club for 11-to-18-year-olds (yes Cllr Kelly, I have had my police checks, which came back whiter-than-white). Some of the children are really talented at stilt-walking, fire-jugging and the other activities (unlike yours truly who has trouble jugging three balls, let alone fire). Their development in such a short period of time is really quite remarkable and credit must go to both the children themselves and my boss Nicola Helmsley (no relation to prowrestler Triple H) for their dedication and enthusiasm to the club.
The club has recently obtained funding for it's activities and new equipment (much of the existing gear belongs to Nicola), which finally bring me to the point of this post. Tomorrow night at around 6:20 pm, members of the local and national press such as the South Wales Evening Post and that scumbag Polly Toynbee's rag The Guardian will convene on the community centre to cover the activities of the club. They will also be joined by that Stalinist dinosaur Elfyn Llwyd's colleague and self-proclaimed 'libertarian' Adam "Al-Qaeda-Loving Attention-Seeking Media Whore" Price MP. No doubt the Guardian will proclaim the club's activities as a triumph for centrally-controlled state-funding when the reverse is the case. All the hard work has already been done by Nicola and the children themselves, but Price and his fellow lefties now want the bulk of the credit for themselves. Nevertheless, I hope that you all buy the weekend editions of the Guardian in tribute to the work of the circus.

No comments: